South Africa has recently been thrust into darkness by state-owned enterprise Eskom, due to operational power outages which reached stage 4 over the last 4 days. Load-shedding has been in effect for a 7th day running (at the time of writing) which is a major cause for concern for citizen and economy alike.
However it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom with these outages, here are 10 activities you can do when you next get hit with stage 4 load shedding, provided you are free to do them!
- Take a walk or bike ride – Perhaps you’ve been meaning to hit the gym but haven’t had the chance, or you have been a bit lethargic lately, the 2 hour power outages can be the perfect catalyst to get in shape. Healthy body, healthy mind.
- Take a nap – This is a good opportunity to catch up on some much needed zzz’s. If you are at work, I’m sure the boss won’t be able to see you in the dark – well, might be a bit difficult to not get noticed if you snore!
- Play some board/card games – These days, with the age of technology, we’ve lost our kids to the internet, and computer and console games. Round the family up and have good ‘ol fun with some board games.
- Socialize – The electricity lines maybe switched down but your cellphone and personal communication lines with your family surely isn’t. Find out how they are
- Read a book – Like most things we procrastinate, this is probably very high up the list. What better motivation if you literally have very little else to than to pick up a book and read. Who knows, it might crack open views or give you great ideas that could be of great benefit to you!
So there you have it, no need to mop the floor with your mouth when the lights are down,
Get up and do something different!